World of 8 Billion Student Video Contest
Date and Time:
Thursday, September 1, 2022, 1:00am to Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:59pm
World population will reach 8 billion in November 2022. Through the World of 8 Billion student video contest, middle and high schoolers are given a platform to think critically about global challenges related to population and share what they think we should do to fix it.
*The Goal: Students explain how population growth impacts one of the following global topics and offer an idea for a sustainable solution. The global topics are: climate change, gender equality, and waste.
*Deadline: Wednesday, February 22, 2023
*Classroom Project: A detailed lesson plan for teachers, and an interactive digital project organizer for students, makes creating a World of 8 Billion video an easy and authentic learning opportunity.
*Awards: Over 80 students will be awarded cash prizes of up to $1,200.
*Narrow Your Focus: Students should narrow their focus by concentrating on a subtheme within their topic. The strongest videos don’t try to tackle an entire global challenge. Possible subthemes include:
- Climate Change - Energy use, farming/livestock resources, deforestation, extreme weather events, environmental justice, disease evolution, etc.
- Gender Equality - Girls’ education, sanitation, access to healthcare & family planning, economic opportunities, women in government, paid & unpaid labor, etc.
- Waste - Food waste, sanitation, responsible consumption & production, e-waste, health implications, environmental justice, etc.
*Key Contest Requirements
- The maximum video length is 60 seconds.
- All videos must be in English or, if in another language, include English subtitles.
- See the Rules and Guidelines for more details