CORAL REEF RESEARCH PROGRAM - Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Date and Time:
Saturday, July 11, 2020, 12:00am to Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 11:30pm
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 5:00pm
ELIGIBILITY: The program will be limited to 12 students and is open to upper level undergraduate students or recent graduates with a genuine interest in coral reef ecosystems. Students must be 18 years old at the start of the program and SCUBA certified.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: During the 4 weeks spent on Roatan, students will interact with staff experts and visiting faculty as they investigate and explore a variety of coral reef environments. Through lectures, site visits and practical field exercises, students will learn the flora and fauna of the region and understand the roles of different ecological processes on a coral reef.
Through collaborative research activities, mentorship and independent research projects, students will receive direct exposure to reef monitoring methods, as they develop, implement and communicate their own research. In addition to the academic and research opportunities our program provides, students will also gain important cultural and social development. This program is a chance of a lifetime and the transformative experiences students will be exposed to can contribute to personal growth and career advancement.
Under the direction of professional mentors and marine biologists and RIMS staff, students will engage in a wide variety of activities and gain experience in the:
- Field experience in the identification of Caribbean corals, fish, invertebrates and algal species
- Application of field research methods to assess coral cover, abundance, and reef health
- Development and implementation of an independent research project.
- Participation in reef restoration projects and maintenance and monitoring of our coral nurseries.
- Management of invasive lionfish populations through collaboration with the Roatan Marine Park.
- Participation in field trips on and around Roatan.
- Interaction with local conservation professionals.
How to Register:
COURSE FEE: The fee for the program is $2975.00 USD. This fee includes full room & board, diving (students can expect to make about 50 dives), tanks and weights, lab and classroom use, airport transfers, off site field excursions and all applicable taxes.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due by March 31st, 2020. Applications will not be accepted if all the required forms have not been received.
For more information about the Coral Reef Research Program at RIMS and to access the Application Form please visit our webpage at: www.roatanims.org