Service Learning and Sustainability Summer Institute (Methoni, Greece)
Hours for Learning Activity:24 learning hours
Date and Time:
Thursday, June 25, 2020, 9:00am to Monday, June 29, 2020, 12:30pm
Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:59pm
SERVICE LEARNING INSTITUTE
- Understanding what service learning is, and why all schools need a service learning program based on research.
- Knowledge of how to implement the standards of service learning in a current unit through engaging instructional strategies for learner agency.
- Know how to set up meaningful community partnerships for projects, sustainability and impact.
- Service-learning provides meaningful learning opportunities to apply and develop skills, dispositions, knowledge and understanding with community for agency and impact.
As a result of taking this workshop through interactive learning that will instruct on how to:
- Discuss the imperative for sustainability education
- Identify sustainability dispositions and examine their compatibility with personal educational philosophy and institutional values
- Understand the Compass as a whole system thinking tool supporting sustainability habits of mind.
- Explore the educational uses of systems thinking tools (behavior over time graphs, closed loop diagrams and the Iceberg Model)
- Examine how sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools can be integrated into teaching and learning
- Adapt unit/lesson plans to integrate sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools
Systems thinking enables educators to help their students develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions necessary to participate in a complex and interdependent world.
INSTITUTE LOCATION: Methoni, Greece
How to Register:
For more information and to register: https://servelearn.co/event/service-learning-and-sustainability-workshop/