The GLOBE Program: Costa Rica Jungles Peaks and Shores
Date and Time:
Thursday, June 7, 2018, 12:00pm to Saturday, June 16, 2018, 12:00pm
Thursday, February 1, 2018, 11:59pm
Climb a volcano, hike in a rainforest, and search for monkeys at the beach — our June 2018 itinerary features the essential highlights of Costa Rica while integrating The GLOBE Program protocols, receiving GLOBE certification within climate change and educational exchange in the tropics. We begin in the lush lowland rainforest of Selva Verde, continue to Arenal Volcano to discover geological history, and witness the unique coastal biodiversity inhabiting Manuel Antonio National Park.
Goals for participants
- Increase understanding and awareness of climate, including the broad and integrative nature of climate, the role of climate in shaping a community, and the difference between climate and weather.
- Increase understanding of and ability to conduct science research focused on climate through certification and experience with The GLOBE program http://www.globe.gov.
- Learn about the ecology of tropical rainforests at Selva Verde’s private Rainforest Reserve http://www.selvaverde.com/.
- Explore Costa Rica’s renowned biodiversity and varied ecosystems.
- Discover the natural and cultural history of chocolate during a visit to a former cacao-growing plot of land.
- Observe beach ecology and the unique wildlife of Manuel Antonio National Park.
- Visit the Toucan Rescue Ranch, a wildlife rehabilitation center, and learn about their rescue and research programs.
- Improve global awareness through collaborations among students, teachers, and scientists that are focused on understanding the Earth as a system.
The land costs for this learning expedition is $2240 which includes all food, lodging, and gratuities. Additional cost for airfare is estimated at $800. All details of this learning expedition including a link to "join this trip" can be found here http://www.holbrooktravel.com/where-we-travel/americas/costa-rica/globe-program-costa-rica-jungles-peaks-and-shores
How to Register:
The $2240 cost includes all land costs -- lodging, food, and gratuities/tips that are given to guides ($250 value). Airfare costs are estimated to be less than $800 -- depends upon your local airport and date purchased.