Summer Camp Instructor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, June 14, 2021, 4:00pm
Prescott Farm Environmental Education Center seeks Camp Instructors for lead teaching positions at WildQuest Camps. Instructors are responsible for daily supervision and instruction of campers aged 4-14. Topics include but are not limited to: natural and physical science, sensory awareness, and team building. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry methods that encourage exploration, self-directed learning, and stewardship of the natural environment.
WildQuest Summer Camp employment involves working various weeks June 28th – August 27th as well as the mandatory week-long training session which takes place Monday June 21st through Friday June 25th from 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m. During camp weeks, Instructors typically work Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4p.m. or 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Partial summer commitments will be considered; candidate availability may affect hiring decisions.
- Supervise campers’ safety on a daily basis.
- Lead programs and activities for campers on a variety of science and nature topics to groups of 12 campers (ages 4-16).
- Participate in working AM and PM extended care coverage on a rotating schedule. Lead facilitator of group and behavioral management of campers.
- Assist the Camp Director with preparing lesson plans and materials.
- Share in maintenance of program equipment.
- Successfully mentor and foster opportunities for successful interaction between campers and LIT (Leadership-In Training) campers.
- Lead campers in a variety of team-building activities as well as other games and activities for campers.
- Participate in camp staff meetings.
- Help build a sense of community among campers.
- Enhance existing curriculum with creative and thought-provoking ideas and activities.
- Conduct programming indoors as well as outdoors in any type of weather.
- Employ inquiry-based teaching methods to stimulate learning.
- Encourage positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics.
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families.
- Take initiative in problem solving, fostering effective interaction between campers, staff and parents.
- Dress accordingly to meet dress code requirements (as stated in camp staff manual)
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be at least 21 years of age and completed one year of college before the start of employment, consideration will be given to candidates 19-20 years of age based on camp experience
- First aid and CPR certification required prior to the start of camp.
- Experience/interest in working with children. Previous camp experience or teaching experience is preferred.
- Sincere interest in the natural and environmental sciences, outdoor skills, and/or education.
- Ability to model responsible behavior to campers.
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation.
- Ability to inspire a passion for science and nature in campers.
- Ability to function comfortably outdoors in a variety of weather conditions (cold, snow, rain, etc.).
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Candidate should enjoy working in a busy camp community, be flexible and highly dependable.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to maintain safety and discipline in a fun and positive way.
- Able to work in highly sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests, campers, volunteers, and other staff.
- Be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 40lbs, navigate nature trails under any weather conditions.
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of camp.
- Pass a background check according to Prescott Farm’s guidelines.
How to Apply:
Submit a letter of interest, resume and three references via e-mail to Jacob Newcomb, Camp Director at email@example.com with “Camp Counselor Application” in the subject line. Review begins March 15th, 2021. Applications accepted until position is filled.