Summer Camp Counselor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:The Great Basin Institute at Galena
The Great Basin Institute at Galena is seeking a Counselor for a 10-week program beginning June 1st, 2020 and ending August 7th, 2020. The start and end date are flexible. Our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education support for educators.
Informal Education through Science Exploration Camps in the forest is the focus of this Internship at Galena, six miles from south Reno. Counselors gain educational experience through providing local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, focused on academic, STEM education.
We are fortunate to live and work at 6,400 ft. elevation in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a short distance from the incomparable Lake Tahoe. Six natural ecosystems are within a 20-minute drive: High desert, forest, still water, wetlands, mountains and rangeland. You will see wild horses and coyotes and may see bears.
These positions are responsible for assisting the Naturalists, Camp Coordinators, and the Camp Director with the implementation of the Great Basin Naturalists Science Exploration Camp through the Galena Creek Regional Park. These positions may serve as AmeriCorps members with the Great Basin Institute and will work collaboratively with the US Forest Service and Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space.
Assisting with the Great Basin Institute at Galena’s Summer Exploration Camp from June 1st to August 7th, 2020. Camps comprise theme-based activities that capitalize on the unique natural setting of Galena Creek Park and the Sierra Nevada region. Themes include natural and cultural history topics that allow children to experience the outdoors through discovery-based, STEM and environmental education. Camps include hands-on games, hikes, guided activities, field trips, guest presenters, exploration and play. Three weeks of camp are day only, with one day of overnight camping, and the last six weeks are residential camps at WeChMe Lodge.
As the only fully outdoor environmental science field study program in Reno, our goal is to provide local youth with opportunities to experience the outdoors in a safe, fun, nurturing and engaging setting, and to provide academic, STEM education support.
Timeline: June 1st, 2020 to August 7th, 2020
Additional Position Details:
- Assist the Camp Director, Education Coordinator, and Naturalists in delivering environmental education curriculum to students and youth in the field.
- Assist in assuring the safety of students and campers.
- Assist in playing games, facilitating crafts, and other entertainment for campers.
- Assist in presenting clear, well-organized educational programs that exemplify professional delivery, thematic development, cohesive structure that are consistently appropriate for the activity and the audience.
- Prepare to teach between 1 and 5 lessons a week.
- Communicate effectively and develop relationships with camp and visitor center staff.
- Enforce camp policies, procedures and regulations.
- Work within a close-knit team in an effective and positive manner.
- Recognize and assist in responding effectively to emergencies.
- Summer Camp, June 8- August 7, includes four weeks of 24 hrs/day, Monday-Friday residence at WeChMe Lodge. You will be given daily breaks and 1 night off a week.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Interest in working with K-12 children;
- Campfire skills (song leading, guitar, storytelling) desirable;
- Enthusiasm and commitment to youth outdoor education;
- Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, work in all types of weather conditions, and otherwise maintain good physical condition;
- Ability to hike between 2 and 5 miles daily;
- Seeking applicants who are optimistic, enthusiastic, hear-working, and adaptable.
- Minimum of 16 years of Age.
If hoping to accept the position as an AmeriCorps member, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
- Received a high school diploma or GED (or be willing to achieve this before using an education award).
- Eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or equivalent of 2 full-time awards), and
- Pass state and federal criminal background checks.
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 1, 2020
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants should use the link below to apply online.
- Weekly stipend of $150, possible shared housing available at no cost if available and needed.
- Meals provided during the 4 weeks of residential camp.
- Training provided includes but is not limited to: First aid and CPR course.
- Potential for a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award in the amount of $1,311.11