The Sous Chef provides leadership within the kitchen environment, supports the Chef/Manager and plays a key role in maintaining the exceptional standard of meal service that the Environmental Learning Center is known for. This role models professionalism and standards established by the Chef/Manager to other kitchen staff during work shifts and assists in training and directing kitchen staff during the peak season. This person collaborates frequently with the Chef/Manager to shape the kitchen environment and to offer suggestions for improving daily operations. The Sous Chef also assists in developing and implementing the Foodshed Program, the Institute’s initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center.
As soon as possible
- At least 2-3 years of professional food service experience that includes the following:
- Catering and/or institutional style of food preparation.
- Maintaining cleanliness and function of foodservice facilities and equipment.
- Placing food orders and maintaining inventory.
- Minimum 1 year experience supervising staff in a restaurant or institutional food service setting.
- Valid Washington State Food Handlers Permit and thorough knowledge of food safety practices.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to receive respectful critical feedback with willingness to make efforts towards growth and improvement in areas identified by Chef/Manager.
- Ability to interact with a diverse clientele including school children.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally and walk over uneven terrain.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving or serious moving violations, etc.
- Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
- Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities.
- Interest in organic, local, and slow food.
- Recycling, composting and waste handling experience.
- Previous experience preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups (up to 80 at a time), including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients.
- Current certification in basic first aid.
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position subject to a possible winter furlough (unpaid) of one to two months. The pay rate is $19.00 to $21.00 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. The North Cascades Institute is pleased to offer Sign On and Season Completion Bonuses to new employees in certain positions. In this Sous Chef position, an employee who successfully works for one month of employment from their start date will be eligible for a $500 Sign On Bonus. If the employee works until the end of Fall 2023 programming on December 15, 2023, they will be eligible for a $1500 Season Completion Bonus.
We offer a competitive compensation package; benefits include paid time-off, medical/dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, tax-deferred annuity and contribution retirement plan, and a yearly stipend to participate in Institute programs. Rental housing may be available. Pets and smoking are not allowed in housing, during programs, or on the Institute’s campus.
How to Apply:
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Please apply online on our website: https://ncascades.org/jobs.
Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume.