The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 5, 2019, 7:00pm
Major Job Responsibilities:
1) Prepare for and deliver Asombro’s award-winning science education programs (including classroom lessons, science activities at other events, and field trips to Asombro’s 935-acre Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park and the USDA Jornada Experimental Range) to K-12 students throughout New Mexico and the El Paso, Texas region (ca. 90%). A majority of work for this position will be with kindergarten through 5th grade students, including many Spanish-English bilingual students and English learners.
2) Assist with other Asombro science education and administrative projects, such as teacher professional development workshops, collaborative projects with other regional organizations, lesson revisions, lesson development, communication activities, and other duties as needed (ca. 10%).
Required Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will be an excellent educator, skilled at communicating scientific practices and natural science concepts in an age-appropriate manner to K-12 students and teachers in a variety of settings. Spanish fluency is not required but is highly desired. The Science Educator must be internally motivated and able to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to work as part of a diverse team with a spirit of collaboration and cooperation. Other requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in natural science, education, or related field
- 2+ years experience teaching natural science concepts using hands-on, inquiry-based methods to K-12 students and teachers
- Comfortable teaching and working both in classrooms and outdoors
- Excitement about working with Spanish-speaking students and finding ways to communicate science concepts to English learners
- Extremely well organized and self-motivated
- Exemplary collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of common software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Pages
- Ability to carry 30+ pounds
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
- Must pass a background check
Other desirable qualifications:
- Spanish fluency (highly desired)
- Familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards
- Knowledge of desert ecology
How to Apply:
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, full contact information (including email address) for three references, and unofficial college transcripts. Please combine cover letter, resume, and reference information into a single Pages, Word, or PDF document (transcripts may be a separate file). Applications must include all of the components listed above to be considered.
Send application package to:
Dr. Stephanie Bestelmeyer, Executive Director
Benefits: 12 paid holidays and 22 days (176 hours) of flexible, paid time off, which includes vacation and sick leave (increasing to 27 days after five years of service). Health and vision insurance.
Dr. Stephanie Bestelmeyer