This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Full job description
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare for and deliver Asombro’s award-winning science education programs (including classroom lessons, science nights, public programs, and field trips to Asombro’s 935-acre Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park and the USDA Jornada Experimental Range) to K-12 students throughout New Mexico and the El Paso, Texas region (ca. 90%). A majority of work for this position will be with kindergarten through 5th grade students, including many Spanish-English bilingual students and English learners. There are also opportunities to work with the secondary education team on programs for middle and high school students.
- Assist with other Asombro science education and administrative projects, such as teacher professional development workshops, collaborative projects with other regional organizations, lesson revisions, lesson development, communication activities, and other duties as needed (ca. 10%).
Required Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will be an excellent educator, skilled at communicating scientific practices and natural science concepts in an age-appropriate manner to K-12 students and teachers in a variety of settings. Spanish fluency is not required but is desired. The Science Educator must be internally motivated and able to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to work as part of a diverse team with a spirit of collaboration and cooperation. Other requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in natural science, education, or related field
- 2+ years experience teaching science using hands-on, inquiry-based methods to K-12 students
- Ability to assist in writing and/or editing lesson plans
- Comfortable teaching and working both in classrooms and outdoors
- Excitement about working with Spanish-speaking students and finding ways to communicate science concepts to English learners
- Extremely well organized and self-motivated
- Exemplary collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of common software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Pages
- Ability to carry 30+ pounds
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
- Must pass a background check
Other desirable qualifications:
- Spanish fluency
- Familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards
- Knowledge of desert ecology
How to Apply:
Application Deadline: We will begin reviewing applications on February 14 and will continue to accept applications until position is filled.
Submit a cover letter, resume, full contact information (including email address) for three references, and unofficial college transcripts. Please combine cover letter, resume, and reference information into a single Pages, Word, or PDF document (transcripts may be a separate file). Applications must include all of the components listed above to be considered.
Send application package to:
Dr. Stephanie Bestelmeyer, Executive Director
Benefits: 12 paid holidays and 22 days (176 hours) of flexible, paid time off, which includes vacation and sick leave (increasing to 27 days after five years of service). Health and vision insurance.