Science Adventure School - Field Staff
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:WVU Science Adventure School Jobs
Responsibilities and Duties
Field Staff will be expected to:
- Work in pairs to lead groups of 12 students. Each group will also have one public school teacher and one mentor-student during some weeks.
- Safely manage their groups to mitigate the emotional and physical risks during adventure activities (zip-lining, rock climbing, archery, etc.) as well as facilitated experiential activities (low ropes courses, initiatives, discussions).
- Be high-energy, outgoing, and responsible for engaging students in their respective activities throughout the week.
- Facilitate daily processing activities and discussions.
- Lead games, low ropes courses, and initiatives throughout the week.
- Take initiative to help groups manage time, risk, travel around the site and perform any other duties or assistance to students, teachers, or other staff to ensure the success of the program. You and your partner will be one group’s guide for four days.
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional language, well-kempt appearance, appropriate and professional behavior, and a willingness to take initiative.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education or Certifications (i.e., college degree or ACCT certification) and/or equivalent experience
- Be comfortable and physically able to thrive in an outdoor/camp setting.
- The ability to pass a federal background check.
- Have good risk management, communication, time-management, group management, and decision-making skills. These are a must!
- Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with youth.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds and participate in moderate physical activity including but not limited to climbing, hiking, and camping.
- Work irregular and long hours during the programming days (Tuesday-Friday)
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- One-year experience working as an outdoor or experiential educator
- Hold a First Aid, WFA, or WFR and CPR certification
- Experience with youth schools and camps
- Experience with STEM schools
- Experience/familiarity with belaying/rappelling/rock climbing
Time Commitment: The Science Adventure School will begin staff training on August 10th. We expect that you will be available to work with us through October 23rd with minimal time off throughout those eight weeks. Staff will be expected to be on campus Monday-Friday with weekends off. This means long weeks of work (with weekends off). Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be with your groups of students for the majority of the day Tuesday morning -Friday afternoon.
Position Start Date:
Monday, August 10, 2020
How to Apply:
Complete the application and questionnaire for the position(s) you’re interested in. These can be found on our website: https://scienceadventureschool.wvu.edu/get-involved/jobs