Science Adventure School - Field Staff
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Field Staff will be expected to:
- Work in pairs to lead groups of 12 students. Each group will also have one public school teacher and one mentor student during some weeks.
- Safely manage their groups to mitigate the emotional and physical risks during adventure activities (zip-lining, rock climbing, archery, etc.) as well as facilitated experiential activities (low ropes courses, initiatives, discussions).
- Be high-energy, outgoing, and responsible for engaging students in their respective activities throughout the week.
- Facilitate daily processing activities and discussions.
- Lead games, low ropes courses, and initiatives throughout the week.
- Take initiative to help groups manage time, risk, travel around the site, and perform any other duties or assistance to students, teachers, or other staff to insure success of the program. You and your partner will be that one group’s guide for four days.
- Maintain positive attitude, professional language, well kempt appearance, appropriate and professional behavior, and a willingness to take initiative.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education or Certifications (i.e., college degree or ACCT certification) and/or equivalent experience
- Be comfortable and physically able to thrive in an outdoor/camp setting.
- The ability to pass a federal background check.
- Have good risk management, communication, time-management, group management, and decision-making skills. These are a must!
- Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with youth.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds and participate in moderate physical activity including but not limited to climbing, hiking, and camping.
- Work irregular and long hours during the programming days (Tuesday-Friday)
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- One-year experience working as an outdoor or experiential educator
- Hold a First Aid, WFA, or WFR and CPR certification
- Experience with youth schools and camps
- Experience with STEM schools
- Experience/familiarity with belaying/rappelling/rock climbing
Time Commitment: The Science Adventure School will begin staff training on Monday, August 12th. We expect that you will be available to work with us through October 5th with minimal time off throughout those eight weeks. Staff will be expected to be on campus Monday-Friday with weekends off. This means eight consecutive weeks of work (with weekends off). Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be with your groups of students for the majority of the day Tuesday morning -Friday afternoon.
How to Apply:
Complete the application and questionnaire for the position(s) you’re interested in. These can be found on our website: https://scienceadventureschool.wvu.edu/get-involved/jobs
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $100/day and up to $150/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days).
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals (including weekends and off-days).
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Laundry, showers, and internet will be available on site.