Science Adventure School – Environmental Educator
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The West Virginia Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night outdoor science school that is serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. Environmental educators will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by teaching students in an outdoor classroom on a variety of environmental education lessons and activities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Environmental Educators will be expected to:
- Facilitate indoor and outdoor environmental education lessons for 6th grade students.
- Facilitate group and project-based learning initiatives
- Use and maintain scientific equipment and sensors
- Promote student’s science and ecological literacy
- Facilitate student’s ability to observe, ask questions, collect data, and communicate findings
- Maintain excellent group management
- Build a safe and strong learning culture
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional language, appearance, and behavior, willingness to take initiative.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree in the discipline of education, biology, ecology, environmental science or other applicable background.
- At least one-year experience teaching in a formal or non-formal setting.
- Basic knowledge of science-related topics
- Awareness and knowledge of the the natural environment and a passion for conservation
Ability to pass a federal background check
Be comfortable living in and physically able to work outside in the field regardless of weather for long periods of time and have sufficient camping skills
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- Teacher certification
- Hold a First Aid, WFA, or WFR and CPR certification
- Experience with youth schools and camps
- Experience with STEM schools
The Science Adventure School will begin staff training on August 8th. We expect that you will be available to work with us through October 3rd with minimal time off throughout those eight weeks. Staff will be expected to be on campus Monday-Friday with weekends off. This means eight consecutive weeks of work (with weekends off). Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be with your groups of students for the majority of the day Tuesday morning through Friday afternoon.
How to Apply:
You can fill out a staff application form here: https://scienceadventureschool.wvu.edu/get-involved/jobs/environmental-educator
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $100/day and up to $160/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days). In some locations, tents will be shared by two staff members.
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals M-F, and accommodations for food preparations will be available on weekends.
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Laundry, showers, and internet will be available on site.