School and OST Programs Coordinator (FT, Permanent)
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, August 5, 2022, 10:00pm
School and OST Programs Coordinator (FT, Permanent)
Tracy Aviary, Salt Lake City, Utah
Take flight with Tracy Aviary’s education team! We are seeking an individual who wants to inspire students and formal educators during and outside of school time through inquiry, exploration, and play. This individual will coordinate and facilitate field trips, summer break camps, and teacher resources, including workshops and tool kits.
Start Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2022
Schedule: 40 hr/wk, Tuesday - Saturday, with occasional evening work required
Starting Compensation: $15-16.25/hr, depending on experience
- Schedule field trips for schools and community groups at both Tracy Aviary and Tracy Aviary’s Jordan River Nature Center.
- Plan and facilitate field trip content aligned with Utah state education standards.
- Coordinate teacher resource kits and workshops.
- Plan summer camps, including communicating with partner organizations and overseeing curriculum creation.
- Provide support to other Education staff, including materials development and program facilitation.
- When working at the Jordan River Nature Center, guest services and maintenance/custodial support as needed.
Please note that this position does not involve any direct contact with animals.
Scheduling and facilitating field trips 40%
Coordinating school break programs 30%
Coordinating teacher resources 20%
Assist in other duties related to Tracy Aviary
Education Department as needed. 10%
Studies have shown that women, non-binary folks, and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color are much less likely to apply for a position unless they feel they meet every qualification as described. We are committed to finding the best overall candidate. Please think about the breadth of your life experience when considering the following lists of qualifications:
- Experience managing schedules
- Experience in education
- Demonstrated interest in nature and ecology
- Effective in working with others and managing time efficiently
- Highly motivated and innovative, well organized, eager to take on new tasks and meet commitments
- Ability to work full-time, Tuesday-Saturday, with some evenings required
- Fluent in English
Additional and Preferred Qualifications:
- Fluent in Spanish
- Knowledge of regional birds and avian ecology
- Certification in CPR and First Aid
- Skills in presenting to mixed age groups
- Familiar with Altru and Social Good software
- Familiar with GSuite, Zoom, and Canva
- Familiar with learning assessment tools and strategies
- Knowledge of and commitment to justice, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in the community and workplace
This position will be involved in programs that occur at both of our locations: Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park and Tracy Aviary’s Jordan River Nature Center in South Salt Lake. When not facilitating programs at a particular location, this staff member will typically split their “desk work” time between the two locations. Some work may be completed remotely as needed.
About our Team:
Tracy Aviary’s Education Department welcomes and empowers all people so that they may grow their sense of place and purpose within their communities and the natural world.
We use the following guiding principles in order to operate at our best:
- Be innovative. We reimagine ways to improve everything we do. We use fresh eyes to bring in new ideas and challenge old ideas, so we can grow and change for the better.
- Be collaborative. We are flexible and open to working with others. We provide a safe place to try new things by making sure everyone feels seen and heard.
- Be committed. We are trusting of others and worthy of trust in return. We go all in!
- Be a mentor. We inspire others by providing insight in an inviting and humanizing way. Everyone we interact with feels a sense of belonging so that they can expand their horizons and find a new passion.
About Tracy Aviary:
Tracy Aviary is committed to inspiring curiosity and caring for birds and nature through education and conservation. As the largest and oldest of only two free-standing aviaries in the nation and accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, Tracy Aviary has grown and evolved over our more than 80-year history to become a cultural landmark, public garden, and leader in environmental education and conservation.
Tracy Aviary’s Justice, Equity, Diversity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Statement:
At Tracy Aviary, we value the beauty and diversity of birds and nature.
In the same spirit, we are committed to providing a safe haven for people in all their diversity to engage, learn, and connect with nature at our facilities and through our programs.
We strive to be increasingly respectful and responsive to this broad diversity of people and partner with the community to co-create opportunities to connect with nature and each other.
We see justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility as requisites for institutional excellence. We aim to create an environment in which staff can bring their whole selves and are supported through mentoring, growth opportunities, and recognition of their value as part of our organization.
It is our aspiration that our staff, partners, and volunteers embrace our core values and that we extend these values to our guests and community.
How to Apply:
Applications are being accepted immediately. Position is open until filled. No telephone calls please. Send a cover letter which connects your life experience to your interest and qualifications for this job, resume, and contact information for three references to Anne Terry (she/her), Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.tracyaviary.org for more information about Tracy Aviary.