We are seeking a full-time Program Director to oversee all aspects of the Darien Nature Center’s year-round suite of nature-based programs for toddler, preschool and elementary school-aged children. This opportunity is perfect for a nature lover who is interested in promoting the natural world, interacting with people of all ages and leading a team of professionals in a fun, vibrant environment.
- Oversee the full-time, temporary and substitute program staff (~12-15 employees)
- Oversee the Director of Animal Care/Lead Educator
- Oversee the Summer Camp Director
- In the absence of the Executive Director, the Program Director is the lead officer on-site
- Develop, schedule, staff and deliver programs (in the community and on-site) that fulfill the mission of the Darien Nature Center (including toddler/preschool programs, afterschool programs, elementary school programs, scouts, youth groups, etc.)
- Develop curriculum together with Lead Educator, Summer Camp Director(s) and program staff.
- Serve as primary manager and trainer of program staff.
- Conduct regular meetings with program staff to share ideas and discuss issues.
- Conduct formal and informal program staff evaluations throughout the year.
- Serve as primary contact for parents and caregivers.
- Oversee licensing requirements and serve as primary contact to licensing organizations.
- Serve as liaison between teachers and parents by initiating and supporting open communication when necessary.
- Work with Summer Camp Director(s) to plan and execute day camp program.
- Work with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to plan annual programming budget.
- Ensure program supplies are stocked and organized.
- Participate in the development of new programs for all ages to promote the mission of the Darien Nature Center and serve our community.
- Work collaboratively with administrative and program staff, the Board of Directors, and volunteers to promote open communication, shared problem-solving and team efforts.
- Serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for the Darien Nature Center.
- With the Executive Director, schedule, plan and co-lead 3 to 4 all-staff meetings per year.
- Support fundraising and community events as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood education, and at least 5 years of applicable experience.
- OEC licensed Head Teacher certification a plus
- Passion for nature and nature education
- Passion for working with children and developing a life-long connection to nature
- Warm, loving and kind demeanor with children
- Strong work ethic and personal integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills with team-leadership experience
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to changing conditions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs/Sheets, Constant Contact
This is a full-time, exempt position - 40 hours per week, with 3 weeks paid vacation. Salary range is $72K-$75K with bonus pay. Health benefits not available at this time. Optional non-matching 401K to come by end of year. Days start at 8:30am, and hours are flexible based on the school year and program schedule.
The Darien Nature Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Alex Domeyko, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Program Director in the subject line.