Nevada Conservation Corps Education and Leadership Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, August 20, 2016, 8:00pm
Website:Great Basin Institute
This individual is responsible for planning, coordinating and facilitating NCC’s educational program, including orientations, the Leadership Advancement Program, and additional educational and professional development opportunities for NCC AmeriCorps crew leaders and members. The Education and Leadership Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining and improving the educational curriculum of the NCC, and support burgeoning field crew leaders through their training program and throughout their season as new leaders in the field. Additional responsibilities include logistical and administrative support for NCC day-to-day operations, and assistance with the planning and coordination of volunteer events. This is full-time position that requires a flexible schedule and the ability to work in the field for up to eight days in a row, up to two times a month, and ability to travel throughout the state to support crews, depending on season.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate NCC orientations for crews;
- Design, plan and facilitate leadership trainings for NCC AmeriCorps crew leaders and members including but not limited to developing educational topics and materials, training schedules, and monitoring outcomes;
- Supervise NCC field crew leaders; facilitate weekly check-ins, review field evaluations, provide feedback and evaluations as needed;
- Ensure and enforce high standards for safety, professionalism, work ethic, and teamwork within NCC crews;
- Assist with day-to-day NCC operations; provide administrative and logistical support to GBI Staff and NCC AmeriCorps members;
- Provide support and assistance to NCC participants in effort to help them meet personal and program goals;
- Maintain, update, and develop curriculum regarding natural resources management and restoration, natural and cultural resources, Leave No Trace, leadership modules, and other topics as needed or desired;
- Distribute educational materials in an organized package to all regions and support GBI staff in delivering lesson plans;
- Provide training and oversee compliance of NCC crew roles; assist with collection and management of crew data;
- Conduct project site visits and gather feedback from AmeriCorps members and leadership to identify gaps in crew member, leader and supervisor skill level;
- Ensure compliance with standards related to Leave No Trace, S212 Chainsaw operations, trail building, restoration techniques, certified applicator licensure, First Aid, and other standards as assigned;
- Create and provide educational resources based on projects, sites and regions;
- Identify, plan, or schedule workshops, lectures, and other activities to increase professional development opportunities for NCC participants;
- Assist with creation and management of Training Budget and support efforts in identifying additional opportunities and resources to fund training and education program;
- Assist in operations and maintenance of field station;
- Follow and enforce policies detailed in the GBI employee handbook;
- Assist with recruitment of NCC field leaders and provide support to incoming participants;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years of work experience in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Education, Conservation Leadership or related area;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural resources Management, Conservation Leadership, Environmental or other Education, or related area or three years of related work equivalency;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record;
- Previous leadership and supervision experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
- Relevant technical experience including trail maintenance and construction, chainsaw use and maintenance, desert restoration, Leave No Trace, and back country travel;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel frequently.
- Experience in training and facilitation of relevant topics;
- Strong initiative, and desire to advance NCC education program;
- Background in leadership development;
- Current Wilderness First Responder Certification.
Location: This position will be based out of GBI’s Southern Nevada office in Las Vegas, NV
Position Start Date:
Monday, August 8, 2016
How to Apply:
The Great Basin Institute conforms to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
- Position available until filled;
- Rate of Pay: $30,000 - $40,000 annual salary, DOE;
- Eligible for 401K and paid health and dental benefits after 90-day probationary period.