Nature Day Camp Junior Counselor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, February 15, 2019, 11:45pm
Inspire children to build a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world as you help them to catch frogs at the pond, create a miniature homestead village in the woods or learn how to paddle on a river.
Job Summary: Join a team of creative, energetic professionals who work together to connect children with nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. CNC is in search of Junior Camp Counselors with a passion for making a difference in the lives of children by providing powerful, dynamic programs in the outdoors. Junior Counselors will assist with teaching and supervising day campers from preschool to 9th grade, including children with special needs. They will help to support a variety of activities in the areas of field ecology, historic farm life, sensory awareness, wildlife studies and nature crafts. Canoeing, kayaking and overnight camping trips are also included for some programs. Campers attend programs from 9:30 am until 3:30 pm Monday through Friday. Over the course of the summer, Junior Counselors will assume increased responsibility for the planning and implementation of camp programming.
Objective: To assist the Counselors to develop and implement programming of predetermined camps to support and strengthen campers’ relationships with the natural world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervise campers, ensuring their safety and well-being
2. Help the teaching team plan and teach daily lessons following the goals and objectives for each program
3. Follow and enforce all camp policies, rules and regulations
4. Provide first aid to campers according to camp policy
5. Communicate regularly with Counselors and the Leadership Team
6. Help organize and direct parents and campers on the first day of camp
7. Provide a Monday orientation for middle and high school volunteers [Counselors-in-Training (CITs)]; organize and supervise CITs during lunchtime activities, including recycling and games
8. Participate in pre-camp and on-going trainings
9. Other duties as assigned by the Camp Director or Assistant Director
- Experience working with children in a formal setting (camp, after school programs, scouts, sports, etc.)
- Experience and desire to work in an outdoor setting
- First aid and CPR certifications (or ability to become certified)
- Valid chauffeur’s license (can be obtained after hire)
- High school diploma or GED
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work varied hours, including some evenings
- Natural science knowledge
- Experience teaching in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge of local natural resources (ecology, identification of birds, plants, etc.)
- Camping, canoeing and kayaking skills
Schedule: Paid staff training: June 3-7 and July 1-3. Camp sessions run June 10 through August 16, with no camp July 4-5.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is $360 per week with additional stipends for overnight camps ($60/night in the field), 20% discount on registered programs and in Nature Center Store. Uniform shirts are provided.
Status: Full time, seasonal
Application Procedure: Send cover letter and attached application and/or resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Rd, Midland, MI 48640.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019 (Interviews will be held by invitation February 23, 2019)
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,200-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and over 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.