The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, January 2, 2022, 11:45pm
We are seeking an Interpretive Guide to provide personal interactions with zoo guests & act as an educational interpreter; offers guest assistance and enhances exhibit experience for the guest; serves as a Zoo liaison and is knowledgeable of the exhibits and general zoo information. Ideal candidates must have excellent people skills and a strong attention to detail. This position reports directly to the Visitor Experience Coordinator.
Job Title: Interpretive Guide
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Hours: Part-time Year Round
About the role:
We are seeking an Interpretive Guide to provide personal interactions with zoo guests & act as an educational interpreter; offers guest assistance and enhances exhibit experience for the guest; serves as a Zoo liaison and is knowledgeable of the exhibits and general zoo information.Ideal candidates must have excellent people skills and a strong attention to detail. This position reports directly to the Visitor Experience Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Work with diverse audiences in a variety of settings across the zoo both inside and outside.
- Responsible for proactively greeting guests and engaging them in conversation.
- Developing and presenting a variety of programs including roving interpretation.
- Animal training/feeding demonstration talks, guided tours, and interactive stations, including but not limited to:
- Backstage Experiences
- Golf Cart Tours
- Tiger, sloth bear, penguin, shark tunnel, sea lion, snow leopard, lion, elephant training/feeding demonstration talks
- Butterfly door attendant and interpreter
- Aquarium touch pool interactive station
- Provide hands-on guest engagement activities during special events.
- Provide presentations developed using thematic interpretation models and allow creative and individual use of delivery techniques.
- Incorporate informal interpretation techniques while providing information and orientation services.
- Must have a strong desire to provide exceptional guest experiences.
- Other interpretive tasks as assigned, including but not limited to play facilitation, interpretive programming, and outreaches.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- High School Diploma or GED (General Education Degree) preferred.
- Interpretive educational training and experience preferred but not required.
- Must have strong guest service and public speaking skills.
- Comfortable working with a diverse population and speaking to the public using a microphone.
- Able to enhance the educational experience for the guest and maintain a positive experience for all.
- Must possess an outgoing personality and enthusiastic attitude.
- Able to present relevant and factual educational information about a diverse group of animals.
- Must work well under pressure and in variable weather conditions.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to exhibit good judgment.
- Possess the ability to function independently or with the supervisor to control guest issues.
Candidates might be (depending on position) required to pass a pre-employment background check, drug test, negative skin tuberculosis test, and possess a valid drivers license with a good history.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Position requires standing for extended periods, walking, and the ability to use hands to signal and feel.
- Reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch and/or crawl; talk and hear; occasionally sit.
- Will lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds using safe and proper lifting methods.
- Will sometimes work extended/odd hours including weekends, holidays and some night programs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors, under all weather conditions.
- This position requires a minimum of 20 hours of availability weekly.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Omahas Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission).