Interpretation Support Specialist
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
In cooperation with the National Park Service Mojave National Preserve, the Great Basin Institute (GBI) is recruiting an experienced Interpretation Support Specialist to work cooperatively with National Park Service staff to plan, research, design, and write text for Wayside Exhibits within the Preserve. Mojave National Preserve is in the process of expanding its non-personal interpretive services, including Wayside Exhibits, which will allow visitors to better identify, understand, and form a connection to the remarkable natural and cultural resources they see and experience in the Preserve.
The position requires a skilled Interpreter/Naturalist to help with cultural and natural resources research, planning, designing, and writing. More specifically, the Interpretation Support Specialist will engage in tasks including:
Choosing sites for new Wayside Exhibits;
- Planning Wayside Exhibit designs and placement;
- Researching appropriate natural and cultural resource topics and themes for Wayside Exhibits;
- Collaborating with National Park Service staff in writing text and choosing photographs and other graphics for Wayside Exhibits;
- Collaborating with National Park Service staff in preparing Wayside Exhibits for fabrication by contractor(s); and
- Receiving training in and assisting with personal interpretative services (guided walks, talks, Visitor Center Operations, etc.).
Additionally, opportunities will be provided to participate in other interpretive projects and activities.
4.5-month appointment beginning December 2017/January 2018, or pending availability and completion of DOI Background Investigation
Full time, 40 hours per week; overtime and/or weekend hours may be required occasionally
Mojave National Preserve (MOJA) is 1.6 million acres, with about 44% of it designated as Wilderness. While most of MOJA is made up of the Mojave Desert, components of the Great Basin desert are found in higher elevations and parts of the southern portion of the park are made up of the Sonoran desert. Resources of the region include threatened and/or endangered species habitat, big game habitats, abandoned mine lands, and historic and prehistoric cultural sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related coursework and commensurate experience;
- Experience developing and implementing environmental education and outreach programs and curricula;
- Experience conducting interpretation, highly desirable;
- Experience living or working in, and/or knowledge of Mojave Desert (preferable) or desert ecosystems and natural/cultural resources, desirable;
- Experience creating interpretive materials (e.g.: pamphlets, posters) or displays;
- Knowledge of and/or experience developing multi-media programs, desirable;
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with the public, coworkers, and Technical Advisors both orally and in writing, and respond in a professional manner to inquiries from the public regarding work activities;
- Motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter that has the flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities and possesses strong organizational skills;
- Ability to speak English and Spanish conversationally, desired;
- Ability to work in all types of weather and terrain in the harsh Mojave Desert environment;
- Ability to live and work in rural and remote field and office environment;
- Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license with ability to safely operate and maintain a 4WD vehicle on and off paved roads;
- Familiarity with backcountry, low-impact principles preferred; and
- Ability to pass National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal criminal background checks.
Successful applicant must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
How to Apply:
Please follow this link to apply directly through our online portal:
- Health Insurance