Group Program Instructor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
We are an all-inclusive organization joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a growing, mission-focused, and future-oriented association of YMCAs, the Metro YMCA of the Oranges has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, mission-driven, candidate to join our team. Sign on bonus may apply
Each year, thousands of people come to Fairview Lake YMCA Camps to learn about the natural world, build valuable teamwork skills, try new activities and get outside. We are looking for individuals who want to help them experience joy and wonder at camp.
Group Program Instructors will lead activities on weekends like hiking, swamp and stream study, boating, archery, songs, survival, and more! We have an excellent training program for less experienced enthusiast that will prepare you to feel confident and lead groups in all assigned activities.
Group Program Instructors will prepare program areas and instruct participants in all classes assigned. It is essential to ensure the safety of participants, proper use of camp equipment and proper use all around our camp facility. Most importantly, instructors will ensure an enjoyable experience to participants.
Group Program Instructors are enthusiastic leaders and have a desire to inspire a love and knowledge of the outdoors in both youth and adult participants.
- Follow risk management guidelines at all time. Follow all camp rules and regulations.
- Lead camp like activities: archery, boating, climbing wall, lead hikes, team building, campfire programs, science classes, and seasonally appropriate activities on weekends.
- Have lessons prepared for all classes assigned, which communicate accurate knowledge of the subject area to participants.
- Provide opportunities so that each individual participant can experience success during an activity.
- Provide excellent customer service as demonstrated by positive remarks on guest surveys.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner including wearing provided staff shirts, nametag, and being responsive and helpful to guest questions.
- Set a good example for participants including cleanliness, language, and sportsmanship.
- Provide dining hall facilitation for visiting groups.
- Demonstrates cooperation, support and flexibility toward fellow staff, programs, and the goals and philosophies of the Fairview Lake YMCA Camps.
- Punctual to work and program areas. Prepare in advance for assigned activities.
- Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities. Communicates concerns and all supply needs to the appropriate director in a timely manner.
- Set-up and clean-up of camp areas for group needs: including mopping, carrying wood, moving tables, and liter sweeps.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High School Diploma, college credits/degree in Education, Natural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Leisure, Recreation studies or related fields preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work Weekends.
- Basic understanding of youth development principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communication with all levels including staff, parents and staff.
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
- 1-3 year’s experience leading group activities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
- First-Aid, CPR and AED certification may be required.
Must be capable of being on your feet for long periods and be able to actively supervise children in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments. Must be capable of bending, kneeling, squatting and lifting 30 pounds. Must be able to visually account for all children in the program, whether inside or outside. Must be able to hear whistle or alarms. Clear speaking voice is needed to command control of group.
INTERNAL CANDIDATES: Current active employees of the Metropolitan YMCA of the Oranges should apply via the Careers section of the Dayforce Employee Account.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided
- Symptom screening and self-reporting
- Preventative guidelines/workplace safety trainings (social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc.)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, participation in cleaning procedures
*Please note that given the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the YMCA is and will continue to follow recommendations given by the CDC, local, state, and federal authorities.
Professional development opportunities and complimentary use of YMCA facilities.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA/employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to extensive background check