Forest School Educator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 31, 2020, 5:00pm
Growing Wild Forest School, an all-outdoor preschool based in Asheville, NC, is currently seeking part-time and substitute educators for our summer camp and year-round programming. Our school is expanding rapidly to meet the increasing demand for safe, reliable and quality education amidst the pandemic.
Founded in 2016, we are the first program established by The Forest School Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to making nature connection education accessible to all young children. Our preschool serves children ages 3-6 during the school year and ages 3-8 during the summer. We operate entirely outdoors on 3.5 private acres bordering 15 acres of public land, in all seasons and all safe-weather conditions.
Our school has no walls, and our ceiling is the sky. This openness, combined with consistent facilitation of daily rhythms and natural boundaries creates a compassionate and safe space for young children to play, learn and grow to their fullest potential. As such, we believe that:
- Every day in the forest is a gift, and we are grateful to share that gift with children.
- Young children, like adults, have full personhood, and are learning how to navigate the world for the first time.
- A village of compassionate adults must support them in this learning. This means that parents, teachers, and children are all on the same team. We model and encourage honest communication between all.
Does this sound like a team that you would like to join? If so, please continue reading!
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Experience in working with young children ages 3-8, singing, storytelling, setting boundaries and leading group facilitation
- Experience or training in child development, child psychology, and/or early childhood education
- Preferred training or experience in Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, Lifeways, Positive Parenting systems, nature-based mentoring and experiential education
- Comfortable in the outdoors: regularly getting dirty, interacting with local ecology/ flora and fauna, tolerance of natural elements
- Familiarity with primitive outdoor skills such as shelter-building, fire-tending and handcrafting
- Nurturing, creative, mindful, grounded personality
- Physical fitness: ability to crouch, crawl, walk and run on uneven natural surfaces, sit on the ground, lift and carry up to 50 lbs for short distances
- CPR/First Aid certified, ability to pass federal background check
- Reliable transportation to and from our campus in West Asheville
The time commitments described below apply to both our morning Summer Camp (operating M-F from 9am-2pm, July 6-August 28) and our Fall Session (operating M-F from 8am-12pm / 1-5pm, Sept 7 - Dec 18).
Assistant Educators: 20-30 per week (approximately 4-5 hrs a day)
Substitute Educators: 4-5 hour per day on an as-needed basis. Substitutes are typically given a minimum of 12 hrs notice regarding upcoming teaching opportunities. There is also the possibility to substitute for a series of consecutive days or weeks, if there is availability and interested.
Assistant and substitute educators will be paid $15 per hour, with the opportunity to grow your role with us in the future we continue to expand our programming to meet the needs of our community.
We're also hiring a Part-Time Remote Virtual Assistant! Click here to learn more about this position.
Growing Wild Forest School & the Forest School Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume and three professional references to GrowingWildForestSchool@gmail.com
Position is open until filled. Please DO NOT call or Facebook or Instagram message regarding this position.