The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, March 20, 2020, 12:00pm
Website:Friends of the Forest
The Friends of the Forest is a non-profit citizen organization located in Anacortes, WA dedicated to the preservation of the Anacortes Community Forest Lands (ACFL) through education, outreach, and stewardship. For over 30 years we have connected people to the ACFL through our school and community education programs. Learn more about our work at www.friendsoftheacfl.org
Friends of the Forest is seeking a Forest Educator with experience delivering accessible and inspiring outdoor education programs for a variety of ages and abilities. The Forest Educator will be responsible for planning and implementing environmental education programs for members of the community with the goals of creating connections and inspiring conservation of our forest lands. They will also plan and lead school programs in conjunction with the Anacortes School District aimed at providing hands-on science education in a forest environment in support of the classroom curriculum.
Friends of the Forest is an organization poised for growth. The ideal candidate will bring vision and creativity, as well as flexibility and a commitment to operating mindfully with our engaged community in a small team setting. This position will be responsible for the shaping and growth of our educational offerings into the future. This includes the potential of management responsibilities as the organization grows.
Role & Responsibilities
- Organize and lead all K-12 forest education programs, including Kindergarten, 3rd, and 7th grade classroom and field programs and coordinate other activities with the school district as needed.
- Plan, organize, and lead Forest Discovery summer day camp sessions.
- Partner with other local organizations to provide programming to community members.
- Manage Community Education Programs by leading 1-3 forest walks per month.
- Create, develop, and implement new community and school education programs in support of the Friends of the Forest mission.
- Coordinate and manage volunteers to assist with community forest walks.
- Manage records, participant forms, registrations, and program logistics.
- Attend and assist with Friends of the Forest member events, community presentations, and once per month board meetings.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience leading a variety of ages and abilities in outdoor hikes and activities including the ability to manage safety and risk in an outdoor environment.
- Experience working with children and school groups in an outdoor environment.
- A history and working understanding of creating lessons based on the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for creating engaging and inspiring programs and activities connecting people to the natural world.
- Experience scheduling and coordinating activities.
- Ability to work both as a team member and independently in a variety of environments, including office, outdoors, and remote work.
- Ability to effectively and enthusiastically communicate information in a public setting.
- Ability to work and walk several miles in the outdoors in varied weather conditions and on varied terrain.
- Minimum of First Aid and CPR certifications, with a preference for Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certifications or a desire to attain such certifications upon hire.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Valid Washington State driver's license.
- Must pass local police, Washington State, and FBI background checks.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate at least one weekend program per month, one evening board meeting per month, and several special weekend and evening events throughout the year.
Position Start Date:
Friday, May 1, 2020
How to Apply:
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Asa Deane at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 2213, Anacortes, WA 98221
Deadline: Applications accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by March 20, 2020.
Ideal Start date: May, 2020
Salary: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $37,000-$42,000 per year, depending on experience and qualifications.
Benefits: Personal Leave Program. Retirement Savings Match Program. Friends of the Forest has the goal of providing health care assistance in 2021.