Environmental Education Instructor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Website:Science Adventure School Webpage
The We st Virginia Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night outdoor science school that is serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. Environmental educators will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by teaching students in an outdoor classroom on a variety of environmental education lessons and activities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Environmental Educators will be expected to:
- Facilitate indoor and outdoor environmental education lessons for 6th grade students.
- Facilitate group and project-based learning initiatives
- Use and maintain scientific equipment and sensors
- Promote student’s science and ecological literacy
- Facilitate student’s ability to observe, ask questions, collect data, and communicate findings
- Maintain excellent group management
- Build a safe and strong learning culture
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional language, appearance, and behavior, willingness to take initiative.
- Spend Tuesdays with a pair of Outdoor Education Guides and their group facilitating experiential education activities.
- Assist with other camp duties as needed.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree in the discipline of education, biology, ecology, environmental science or other applicable background.
- At least one-year experience teaching in a formal or non-formal setting.
- Basic knowledge of science-related topics
- Awareness and knowledge of the the natural environment and a passion for conservation
- Ability to pass a federal background check
- Be comfortable living in and physically able to work outside in the field regardless of weather for long periods of time and have sufficient camping skills
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- Hold a First Aid, WFA, or WFR and CPR certification
- Experience with youth schools and camps
- Experience with E-STEM schools
The Science Adventure School will begin staff training in early August. We expect that you will be available to work with us through the beginning of November with minimal time off throughout that time, except for a mandatory week off near the middle of the programming season. Staff will be expected to work Monday-Friday with weekends off. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be “on-duty” nights where staff are expected to remain on-site at camp to assist with evening programming. Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be working long days with students Tuesday morning through Friday afternoon. Hours vary, but while students are on-site, days frequently start around 7:00AM and end around 10:00PM.
Position Start Date:
Monday, August 8, 2022
How to Apply:
If you are interested in working for SAS, you can fill out our application form on our website: The WV Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night outdoor science school that is serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. Environmental educators will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by teaching students in an outdoor classroom on a variety of environmental education lessons and activities.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $100/day and up to $160/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents (Summit Bechtel Reserve), yurts/cabins (Outdoor Education Center & Jackson's Mill) will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days). In some locations, tents will be shared by two staff members.
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals M-F, and accommodations for food preparations will be available on weekends.
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Showers and internet will be available on site at no cost.