Education Program Specialist
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, June 10, 2016, 12:00am
Education Program Specialist, Northern Illinois University, Lorado Taft Campus, August 16, 2016 – May 31, 2017.
- Develop and teach classes in the outdoor environment to students in the 4th to 8th grades.
- Develop curricula and resources for the program.
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of campus teaching, habitat, and resource storage areas.
- Participate in staff training prior to teaching and throughout the school year.
- Assist in the coordination of the residential outdoor education program.
- Two Saturdays per year of leading groups on the challenge course with the conference program are required. Additional optional weekend opportunities exist.
- Complete projects assigned by the Coordinator or Specialists.
- Six months experience as an educator or facilitator of non-formal education programming, camp staff, or naturalist.
- Two months experience teaching, facilitating, or participating in outdoor education or recreation activities.
- Degree in education, science, natural resources, recreation, history, or related field.
- Demonstrated competence in verbal communication, particularly the ability to present information, ideas, directions, etc. in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and supervisors to achieve the goals of the program.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for the outdoors and outdoor education, even when conditions are challenging.
- Flexibility and the ability to deal with the unexpected and quickly changing nature of outdoor activities and children.
- Demonstrated professionalism as related to the field.
- Ability to effectively engage in behavior management in order to maintain students’ interest and participation in outdoor classes and activities.
- On-site residence is required. A private, furnished room is provided.
- Experience as an educator, program staff, naturalist or related position at a residential outdoor education center, nature center, or similar facility.
- Ability to convey information about environmental topics without bias and with the goal of encouraging lifelong learning.
- Experience in preparing lesson plans, outlines, or guides in preparation to teach or facilitate activities.
- Ability to manage work time effectively and with little supervision to ensure preparedness and project completion.
- Experience leading or facilitating groups in team building activities.
- Demonstrated initiative to go above and beyond minimum assigned duties.
- Housing (private room) and board when dining hall is in operation
- Full benefit package, including paid holidays, retirement, health, vision, and dental.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
How to Apply:
To apply, submit a letter of interest; resume; and name, address, and phone number of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Melanie Costello, Campus Director/Outdoor Education Coordinator, Lorado Taft Campus, PO Box 299, Oregon, IL 61061. Applications need to be received by June 10, 2016 for consideration.
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. for Northern Illinois University. For further information about eligibility, please contact NIU’s International Student and Faculty Office at email@example.com or at 815-753-1346.
Housing (private room) and board when dining hall is in operation
Full benefit package, including paid holidays, retirement, health, vision, and dental.