Education Program Manager - Visitor and Community Engagement
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 11:30pm
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
The Education Program Manager- Visitor and Community Engagement is responsible for visitor engagement and community outreach programs at the Zoo and Wildlife Safari Park. The function is to create a dynamic learning experience to connect individuals to nature and conservation of wildlife and wild places.
- Plans, develops, and implements hands-on experiences and opportunities aligned to the education framework and zoo conservation messaging to engage all ages throughout the Zoo and WSP
- Prepare and conduct training on a regular on-going basis for animal staff, education staff, interpretative guides, children’s adventure trails staff, and volunteers to present and lead community outreach, visitor engagement and Interactive Animal Programs on and off grounds.
- Develop engaging conservation messaging and content scripts for programs, presentations, tours, rides and exhibits.
- Responsible for writing exhibit content and follow the interpretative plan developed by VP of Education and the Manager of Design and Interpretive Services.
- Develops and implements evaluation plan to measure effectiveness of (learning, behavior changes, impact) of all programs (collaboration with Research manager).
- Develops, manages and closely monitors budgets (backstage and visitor engagement)
- Develop and evaluate program goals and action plans to make sure aligned to education framework and zoo/wsp strategic plan annually
- Develop, implement, and evaluate continuous professional growth training programs for staff and volunteers
- Conducts observations and provides coaching/mentoring opportunities for staff, volunteers, and animal staff.
- Manages the daily operation of the Children’s Adventure Trails, presentations, and backstage experiences.
- Submit bi-weekly payroll for Interpretative guides and Play facilitators
- Schedules and maintains appropriate staffing for visitor experience and Children’s Adventure Trails programming daily
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of program records
- Animal Ambassador education liaison (submits monthly animal requests and conducts training)
- Work directly with animal care staff to ensure animals are utilized as ambassadors with appropriate messaging during programs
- Promotes programs through websites, social media, digital newsletter, zoo prints, personal contact, mailings and area conferences
- Coordinate with marketing and volunteer manager to provide immersive visitor engagement activities and staffing for special events
- Meet weekly with the Children’s Adventure Trails supervisor, interpretative guides, outreach coordinator, animal supervisors, and Vice President of Education.
- Represents the Zoo at meetings and media spots when Vice President of Education is not available
- Other Duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, biology or communication is preferred.
- Flexibility in scheduling: Will be required to work weekends, holidays and after- hour assignments.
- (Sunday- Thursday and holidays 9:00 am- 6:00 pm)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Enthusiastic about ecology and able to teach using nature to explain conservation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Able to develop and implement hands-on experiences for all ages.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- This position performs the majority of its function in an office environment. There can be occasions where this position will be exposed to the elements or conduct its function in a zoo/aquarium environment.
- Sit for prolonged periods.
- Some standing and walking across the Zoo campus is required.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
How to Apply:
All candidates must apply for this position at www.Omahazoo.com/workhere.