The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, October 24, 2022, 8:00am
Title: Communications Director
FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt/Salary
Reports to: CEO
Direct Reports: Digital Engagement Manager/seasonal interns
Location: Fort Collins, CO preferred (flexible work location)
Salary: $70,000 to 80,000 annually commensurate with experience
Benefits: This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package (paid time off, 403b retirement plan, health, dental, and vision insurance)
Start Date: Flexible November 15th to November 28th, 2022
About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a 501-c(3) non-profit headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education,and Stewardship. Our work radiates from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond. Learn more about our work and programs at our website: www.birdconservancy.org
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is seeking a dynamic and effective communicator to oversee our organizational communications strategy. The Communication Director will build and maintaining a professional, diverse, and effective array of communications tools that align with and serve Bird Conservancy’s mission. The director’s primary responsibility will be to oversee and lead all organizational communications and outreach materials. The director will supervise the Digital Engagement Manager responsible for online content (website, blog and social media). Finally, the communication director will work collaboratively with the Grassland Roadmap Director to support communication and outreach for the Grassland Roadmap. Applicants must have a strong track record communications and digital engagement with knowledge of communication media tactics and strategy. The incumbent will have strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills and experience with design, layout and color
principles. Interest in birds and or natural resource conservation will be considered a plus.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee and implement organizational Communications in alignment with the organizational strategic plan
• Lead and publish print and online marketing materials, newsletters and the organizational annual report
• Write and distribute press releases to news media and field media inquiries as needed
• Work collaboratively with the Grassland Roadmap director to support Communications Working Group of the Central Grasslands Roadmap (CGR) to guide meetings, communication outputs, public engagement
• Supervise Digital Engagement Manager in the delivery of digital/online communications outputs including website, blog, and social media content
• Work with Development Director to provide logistical and communications support for public programs, events and facilities
• Serve on Bird Conservancy's Leadership Team and staff committees to support the strategic direction of organization,
• Maintain communication tools and provide training to staff as required
• Oversee brand/visual identity to ensure alignment with mission and consistent use across communication tools
• Provides a final review of external communications intended for members, donors, stakeholder groups and/or public distribution
• Coordinate volunteers and contractors on external communication products
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required:
• Minimum of (4) years communications or closely-related experience/training
• Knowledge of communications media tactics and strategy, with the ability to tailor and prioritize communications outputs for different audiences, goals and objectives
• Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
• Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Professional knowledge of design, page layout and color principles
• Experience developing and managing content for websites and social media platforms
• Awareness of DEIA principles and organizational goals as they apply to communications activities
• Experience with event planning and logistics, publicity planning and marketing
• Knowledge of or interest in birds/ornithology, natural resource conservation, natural heritage interpretation planning and delivery and/or similar disciplines is ideal but not required
• Experience with Adobe Design Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), video and production tools e.g. Windows MovieMaker, Streamline, Zoom/Google Hangouts, social media tools e.g. OneUp, HootSuite, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter -- HTML CMS (WordPress), GIS StoryMaps, online analytics tools (Google Analytics), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT) and Microsoft Publisher (or equivalent), Monday.com, Slack
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to work in standard office setting, with considerable sitting, standing and viewing of computer screens.
• Mid-level stress.
• Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (mouse, keyboard, telephone).
• Ability to lift 25lbs frequently occasionally up to 100lbs
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
• Standard office equipment (e.g. laptop, printers); PC with MS Office software applications
• Mouse and keyboard
• Telephone headset (occasionally)
• Multi-line telephone with voice mail
• Copy machine and printer
Equal Opportunity Employer: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative either proof of full vaccination at employment start date or agree in written form to weekly testing until further notice. Any proof of vaccination or weekly test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and contacts for three references in ONE document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Last Name/ Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Preference will be given to those applications that are submitted before October 24th, 2022.