Catamount Institute: eeCorps Education Specialist
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, August 25, 2022, 11:45pm
Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. eeCorps members provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement all across the country.
Service Site Overview: This position will be located at Catamount Institute in Colorado Springs. Catamount Institute’s mission is to connect kids to the outdoors through science education and adventure learning. Their programs are designed to use the natural curiosity of the child to spark a love for life-long learning. Through their state-recognized youth programs, Catamount works to make environmental education accessible to all, regardless of socioeconomic status, and strives to create environmental leaders who will contribute to the next generation of stewards.
Service Position Summary: The AmeriCorps Member will directly support the Executive Director and School Programs Director by conducting standard-based environmental programs for K -12 students including field trips, in-school programs, afterschool programs, weekend programs, overnights, and community events. Additional responsibilities include developing program materials, marketing, fundraising, and attending relevant community events.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities): eeCorps members engage with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps and Catamount Institute’s goals. These duties include:
- Facilitate school programs including: field trips, in-school programs, afterschool programs, weekend programs, and 2-6 day overnight programs
- Prepare marketing plans for existing programs which include timelines and contacts
- Develop newsletters for field trips and other programs
- Assist with photography and videography portfolio
- Continue developing a comprehensive volunteer recruitment plan
- Collaborate with Catamount Institute staff to evaluate and report on youth programs
- Assist in the acquisition and inventory of program resources, including, but not limited to, volunteers, equipment, supplies, specimens, and books
- Regularly meet with the School Programs Director and Executive Director to review educational programs
- Collaborate with staff to develop annual marketing, partnership, funding, and public relations plans for programs
- Provide program descriptions and information for publications and website to Marketing and Communication staff
- Track progress and collect evaluation data for the program’s performance measures
- Attend all eeCorps/AmeriCorps trainings, meetings, and orientations
- Complete National Days of Service projects as required by the eeCorps program
- Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines
- Some local and out of town travel required to annual conferences
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
- Attend trainings and seminars as directed to maintain or attain relevant knowledge and certifications needed to support the educational department
- Represent and present at relevant community programs, events, and conferences
Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual Demands:
- Patience required, as the member will be serving with children
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting in varying weather conditions for several hours at a time
- First Aid/CPR certified (re/certification provided if needed)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Previous experience working with school-aged children a plus
- Adaptable and energetic, quick learner under new circumstances
- Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- Passion for diversity and inclusion
- High School Diploma or GED required, college graduate preferred
- Ability to pass criminal history check (required)
- Reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
- Colorado residents are encouraged to apply
Term of Service: This is a full-time national and community service position requiring a minimum of 1700 hours during the term (approximately 40 hours/week). The position begins as soon as possible and ends July 28, 2023. Flexible hours are required, including occasional evening and weekend commitments. Members may be required to serve on Days of Service that take place on certain national holidays throughout the year.
Training and Support Provided: eeCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable, approved training and professional development. Members will be supervised and supported by Catamount Institute’s School Programs Director, as well as by Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator. The 2022-23 cohort of eeCorps members serving throughout the region will act as additional resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at Catamount Institute (740 W. Caramillo St. Colorado Springs, CO. 80907), and may involve service (indoor and/or outdoor) at other locations in the surrounding areas.
- A living allowance of $16,502 distributed biweekly over the term dates. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- Health insurance
- Child care assistance, if eligible
- An education award of $6,495 upon successful completion of term of service.
- It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings
- Non-tangible benefits include extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
- Ability to participate in regional EE leadership councils; option to obtain CAEE’s nationally-recognized Professional Environmental Educator Certification.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity:
The Catamount Institute provides equal opportunity for staff and all qualified participants and does not discriminate in providing services to any individual on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, veteran status, or any other protected status.
The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) recognizes the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education. CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
Position Start Date:
Monday, August 15, 2022
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also attach a list of three (3) references, and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length. Include “AmeriCorps Catamount Application” in the subject line.