Deadline to Apply:
Friday, December 16, 2022, 11:00pm
Who We Are:
NatureBridge provides best-in-class environmental science education experiences for more than 30,000 students and their teachers every year in the world’s best classrooms: our National Parks. Our mission is to connect young people to the science and wonder of the natural world, igniting self-discovery and inspiring stewardship of the planet. Through our programs, students explore the outdoors, connect with their peers, discover themselves and develop a lasting relationship with science and the environment around them.
We believe that nature is inclusive to all beings and that diversity is fundamental to the ecological health of our planet. Our work—connecting young people to themselves, each other, science and the natural world—must be as inclusive and diverse as our national park classrooms. At NatureBridge, we examine when and how forms of inequity appear in our programs and workplace. We listen, learn and aim to change individual mindsets and organizational practices to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to thrive at NatureBridge.
Our Core Values reflect this: We are inclusive. We create an equitable, welcoming and empowering learning and working environment for all people. For more information, visit our website.
What You Will Do:
Coastal Camp is a summer day camp located in the Marin Headlands. Coastal Camp offers educational, environmental science programs for youth grades K-12, though the majority of campers are in early elementary school. The Camp Director is responsible for all aspects of the planning, supervision and implementation of Coastal Camp. The Camp Director spends the year strategically planning the program content, hiring and training camp admin and staff, optimizing operational logistics and expanding camp’s equitable outreach and enrollment efforts necessary to smoothly and successfully run programs.
This position takes place at our campus in the Marin Headlands and cannot be performed remotely.
Your primary job will be:
- Strategic Planning: Oversee the development and improvement of camp programming, with a specific eye towards eliminating equity and inclusion barriers for participants and staff; continue to expand community partnerships.
- Hiring, Training, and Supervising Camp Staff: Supervise & support the camp admin team (5 staff) and lead the hiring process of 30-40 seasonal educators & staff. Facilitate all-staff training and conduct ongoing staff assessment.
- Campus Leadership and Collaboration: Serve as a member of the campus Leadership team, and collaborate with other department leads, as well as NatureBridge’s national education leadership, to support and improve all campus programs. Work to create an equitable, safe, and welcoming environment for staff and participants.
- Content and Curriculum: Develop innovative, mission-driven curriculum, thematic strands, and hands-on activities in a way that incorporates staff and participant feedback.
- Operations: Collaborate with other campus departments to ensure smooth daily operations customer service; manage the camp calendar, schedule, and standby system.
- Outreach and Enrollment: Maintain & strengthen community partnerships, and seek opportunities for new partnerships in order to recruit campers from current and historically marginalized communities. Collaborate in the marketing and promotion of camp programs.
- $65,000 annual salary
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Option for a 403b retirement plan with employer match after six months
- Generous paid vacation, training days and sick leave
- Other benefits include Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and more
Who You Are:
We are looking for candidates who have:
- 2+ years working in the summer camp or experiential education industry.
- 3+ years management or supervisory experience.
- The ability to strategically envision and plan for the growth of Coastal Camp.
- Ability to develop and implement scientific thematic program curriculum for young learners.
- Experience in providing equity, inclusion, and inclusion training to staff.
- Easy ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Experience in recruiting, hiring, training, and retaining staff
- Ability to organize complicated details, such as schedules and program logistics
- Excitement for directing summer camp programs for youth; personal connection to NatureBridge’s mission
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in the workplace. We especially encourage you to apply if you are a member of (or have extensive experience working with people from) any communities that are impacted by the historic and current system of oppression that has limited access to environmental education, or the outdoors in general.
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification, or willingness to obtain certification before beginning employment.
- Valid California Driver's License.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience, which can include training, academic courses, and work in the summer camp or experiential education industry.
- If you are interested in the role and do not meet every requirement listed, please still apply! We are interested in applicants with unique lived experience and skill sets.
*All NatureBridge Employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees must be fully vaccinated 15 days or more before the employment start date. Employment eligibility is contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Why should you join the NatureBridge team?
- We are a mission-driven organization that values your contributions and supports you in making a positive impact on young people and the environment
- You will get to work in a beautiful natural setting with other dedicated staff who are passionate about the environment
- You want to be part of an organization that is invested in growth, self-examination, and creating equitable and inclusive environments for staff and participants
How to Apply:
NatureBridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Submit your resume and cover letter to our Online Career Portal (Link). In your cover letter, please address how your skills and experience set you up for success in the position.