I'm sharing new and exciting updates to the Center’s Simplify the Holidays campaign which helps think outside the (big) box with gifts and traditions that encourage creativity, increase connection, ease stress, save money, reduce waste and help the environment.
1. Webinar invitation – Just after the Halloween candy is gone, we start to think about winter holiday gift giving. Join the Center for Biological Diversity for a webinar on Nov. 2, 2021, from 2:00-3:00 pm ET that includes tips, tricks and hacks for having a low-waste and less stressful holiday season. Register here - https://bit.ly/2QBkT8x.
2. Updated holiday waste generation statistic – We aggregated trash, recycling, yard waste and food waste data from local governments across the country for the 2018 and 2019 calendar years to update the often-cited holiday waste generation statistic. Our 2021 analysis found that Americans generate 23% more tons of waste in December than other months of the year. Check out other updated statistics here - https://bit.ly/3mYblBe.
3. Updated content on Simplify the Holidays website – Check out our new winter holidays page on the Simplify the Holidays site - https://simplifytheholidays.org/winter-holidays. New content includes information about Christmas Tree alternatives, simpler entertaining ideas, edible gift ideas and tips on giving an experiential gift. Make sure to check out our SoKind wishlist tool also - https://sokindregistry.org/.
4. Soliciting advice – ’Tis the season to be more Earth-friendly and this year we're looking for holiday tips from you! Whether it’s plant-based food tips, sustainable décor, or Earth-friendly hosting, we'd love to share your advice on how you #SimplifyTheHolidays. Share your ideas here - https://bit.ly/2Z6i1Fl.
5. Social media sharables – Check out and share our social media posts and graphics (found at https://bit.ly/3n7tAEb) promoting alternative gifts and simple holiday entertaining.